Domestic flights in Iran are pretty popular since the country is so vast and the cities are far from each other. Moreover, the long bus rides and the longer train trips might not be the best options for those with a short time limit. The 16 active Iranian airlines fly 400 times a day on average. As a foreigner passenger in Iran, you need to know about the baggage allowance for each airline before you get in trouble at the airport. The table below shows you in details all you need to be aware of in this ﬁeld. All the information is provided from the airlines’ agents in December 2019.
|Iranian airlines||Baggage allowance||Excess baggage charges||Hand baggage allowance|
|Iran Air||23 Kg||Not provided by the airline agent||5 kg|
|Mahan Air||20 Kg||70000 - 100000 rials/kg depending on the route||5-7 kg|
|Aseman Air||20 Kg||60000 - 120000 rials/kg depending on the route||5-7 kg|
|Kish Air||20 Kg||Not provided by the airline agent||5 kg|
|Qeshm Air||20 Kg||Not provided by the airline agent||5 kg|
|Zagros Air||15 -20 kg||Not provided by the airline agent||5 kg|
|Taban Air||20 Kg||55000 - 90000 rials/kg depending on the route||5 kg|
|Varesh Air||20 Kg||50000 - 13000 rials/kg depending on the route||5 kg|
|Saha Air||20 Kg||Not provided by the airline agent||5 kg|
|Ata Air||20 Kg||60000 - 80000 rials/kg depending on the route||5 kg|
|Iran Air Tour||20 Kg||70000 rials/kg||5 kg|
|Caspian Air||20 Kg||42000 - 99000 rials/kg depending on the route||5 kg|
|Meraj Air||20 Kg||Not provided by the airline agent||5 kg|
|Atrak Air||20 Kg||Not provided by the airline agent||5 kg|
You may also need to read “Iran Airport Regulations; What You Have to Know”
What not to take in domestic flights in Iran
The following item must not be packed with either checked baggage or unaccompanied baggage. the following articles should never be packed in baggage:
◦ Explosives, fireworks
◦ Flammable & Non-Flammable Gas – aerosols, camping equipment,
◦ Cylinders of compressed Gas, Gas lighters
◦ Deeply refrigerated gases – liquid nitrogen
◦ Flammable liquids – paints, thinners, solvents, acetone, polishes, sealants, resins.
◦ Flammable solids – ﬁrelighters, matches,
◦ Oxides materials – bleaches, drain cleaners,
◦ Chemical oxygen generators, airbag inﬂators, airbag modules,
◦ Carbon dioxide (dry – ice), refrigerated liqueﬁed oxygen,
◦ Fire extinguishers
◦ Instruments such as manometers, mercury switches, rectiﬁer tubes.
◦ Arsenic, weed killer, tear gas
◦ All kinds of torches,
◦ Infectious substances – viruses and bacteria substances which would affect humans & animals
◦ Radioactive materials – instruments containing radioactive source radioisotopes for research
◦ Toxic substances, poisons
◦ Corrosive materials – acids, alkalis substances, mercury, thermometers containing mercury, barometers
◦ Frozen fruit, vegetables packed with dry-ice.
◦ Life saving appliances, ﬁrst aid kits, wet or lithium batteries.
◦ Cryogenic liquid, argon gas, helium gas, neon gas, nitrogen gas.
◦ Diving lamp, electron tubes, heat production items
Also, read “Iranian Planes; Forgotten Names Do Still Fly”
Forbidden Goods in domestic flights in Iran:
Security-type equipment such as attaché cases, cash boxes, etc. Incorporating dangerous goods, such lithium batteries and/or pyrotechnic material, electroshock weapon, fuel containers, safety matches, etc are totally forbidden. Disabling devices such as mace, pepper spray etc. containing an irritant or incapacitating substance are prohibited on the person, in checked and carry on baggage.
I also invite you to read “ Iran Flights and US Sanctions: Is This The Time To Get Worried?”
For any further questions, feel totally free to send an email to [email protected]